Vintage photography album -postcard originals?

Hello, I have an interest in vintage photography and collect old photo albums. I have just purchased one of superb landscape photos of Jersey and Guernsey (just off the UK coast).

Having researched the various locations online, I have noticed that many match Tuck postcards. However they are definitely original photos (dating, I believe to late c19) and there are far more than the Tuck Jersey photos I’ve found so far online.

Having researched a little about Tuck (apologies in advance, I am a complete novice in this area!) I am wondering if these could actually be the original photos on which the some of the Jersey postcards were based? I have not been able to find any info online about the photographers who sold their photos to Tuck and the album has annotations but no names. I am wondering if it is possible that this is an album of originals that were then selected for the series or maybe sold to various card producers of the time? I have no knowledge of vintage postcards or Tuck so thought I’d get in touch with you having found this website via Google. Thank you Jen

Hey Jen (@Dufay)

Many of the cards with photos or drawing we have the artist listed, for example:

https://tuckdbpostcards.org/items/78050

Was drawn by Harry Payne.

Some cards the artist isn’t written on the card, so some research is needed.

It’s possible that the photos / cards you have are the originals, as artists sold their work to Raphael Tuck & Sons.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Justin.