Raphael tuck and sons ltd. LARGE lithograph?

Hello everyone! I’m new here and I’m not sure where this should be posted, I hope I’m in the right place… I have what I assume to be a print done by R.T&S of S.E. Waller’s “ONE AND TWENTY”. Its quite large, maybe 37" x 27". In the top right corner just outside of the actual picture it reads “Raphael Tuck and Sons Ltd. London, Paris & New York Publishers to their Majesties the King & Queen Copyright printed in England”. I have searched and searched and searched for any information on this picture and to no avail. Can someone please help me find out how old this is? What kind of “print” it may be? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Welcome @saysay,

Your posting in the right place. If you have an image of the front and back that might help other collectors help identify your card.

Awesome :slight_smile: and absolutely! I had meant to attach the image before posting but for some reason the picture did not want to leave my outbox in my gmail… ughh lol I will be posting those within the hour! And I notice that you said card, this picture is quite large. Did tuck make cards that large?

Tuck made ephemera that were quite large, if it’s got a Raphael Tuck & Sons logo on the bag, they def made it.

heres the front, ill have to take it down and apart to get the back

also, the color in the photo is very light compared to how it looks in person.

Those pics are good, hopefully somebody can help you identify.

Hey @justintanner is the lack of response a bad sign? I dont really know how long it normally takes this crowd to see/ respond to posts… I really hope its just that special that nobody can speak on it…

@amilling8 do know anything about this lithograph?

I just did a google search with the title of the image and added painting. There is lots of info on Google. A lithograph is a style of paper production of images. -per google- Lithography is a planographic printmaking process in which a design is drawn onto a flat stone (or prepared metal plate, usually zinc or aluminum) and affixed by means of a chemical reaction.

The painting is in the Harris Museum and Art gallery. Painted by Samuel Edmund Waller(1850-1903) IT was painted in 1891 according to the bio details in Wikipedia. There is tons of info online available about it. Tuck must have reproduced it.

Hi Tuck made a lot of large lithography prints. You could look up the lithography process on google. I also looked up the title in Google and up came a lot of images of the original. Wikipedia gives a complete bio of the artist and the date in which the original was painted. A short search on Google will get you a long way to learning more about the image and the artist.
Tuck had a massive art department and lithos were just another item that they sold. There are hundreds in various sizes and qualities. Alison

I appreciate the information Allison, albeit already very well known, it is appreciated nonetheless. So thank you. I am well aware of who the artist is, when he lived, where the original painting is kept, as well as how it got there etc. etc. I was hoping to find an old hand with a more discerning eye, as I have done extensive research on this piece and clearly still have questions. I am sure you are aware of the fire that ensued from a WWI bomb that destroyed the Tuck’s London firm back in 1940? I wondered if this piece maybe somehow survived that? I read a lot of their work was lost… This is a beautiful and very well made piece of art. This is in no way a cheap print of any kind, and upon googling it there are no others like it, like seriously none at all. You’ll find the original painting like you mentioned, and then listings for a cheap modern reproduction of said work. I cannot for the life of me find another print of this painting anywhere. And it may be worth mentioning, whenever I took the backing out of the frame, it appeared to me to be an asbestos laden card board of sorts, with a distinct black paper as one of the layers within the board, so I believe that to be indicative of notable age. The “paper” or card stock, whatever it is that this work has been so skillfully printed on also appears to be of substantial quality and age, as does the matting. I also noticed that it says “Publishers to their Majesties, The King and Queen.” Is that referring to Edward VII and his wife Alexandra? or even earlier- Queen Victoria and her husband Albert? These are the questions! :slight_smile:

My apologies but you had written that you had searched and could not find any info. Yes the fire destroyed much of the artwork but that would have been after your print was produced. I have gone through my five art catalogs that I have. See photos . I don’t have record of yours but my catalogs would have come from different years. They are of the mezzotints engravings etchings and photogravures facsimile etc. you can se from the covers and I added a phot of the inside to show how Tuck described each and had 5 or 6 different sizes and qualities to select from when ordering.

Also I can’t read your image about the publishing details. It gets blurry after New York. Send me the rest of the words as some offices around the world

were open only at certain times. I have sent a phot of a quick reference quite by Blair and Margaret Whitton but there are others

also I would suggest taking good photos and sending an enquire to **Meibohm Fine Arts, Inc.**in New York to ask for further assistance.

Also Albert was never the king so it would refer to Ed vii period which would date it to 1901-1910 period.

@saysay does that information help?