687 - another card in the set

I have another card that belongs to the set 687:

“Paris L’Opéra”

https://tuckdbpostcards.org/sets/41623

My scan: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/france/images/f_paris_opera_186.jpg

The back is the same as the others in the series.

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks for the formidable database!
Andreas

f_paris_opera_186

@AndreasP Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that new card, even tho the back is the same do you have scan of it?

I can scan the card’s back (and front again), no problem. What’s your preferred file size/resolution?

JPG and the biggest resolution you got.

All rght. Here are the scans.

I don’t collect by publisher, but theatres and theatre audiences as motives, so I only have a couple of Tuck’s postcards, which I like a lot.

If you want to have a look at my collection, see CARTHALIA - Theatres on Postcards

Greetings from Germany
Andreas

Hm, the files shown aren’t my best resolution that I uploaded… so in any case:

@AndreasP thanks for the perfect scans, I’ve uploaded them here:

https://tuckdbpostcards.org/items/142432

And nice site you have, there, could I ask, do you sort your collection in sets?

If not, how to you group them?

The topographical cards are sorted by country, city, theatre (which admittedly comes to a certain limit with theatres like the Paris Opera where I have hundereds…)

The generic cards are not really sorted, I’m afraid. I try to keep similiar cards together, and they are roughly sorted by theme (audience, cinemas, puppet shows, backstage, circus etc.)

They still find room in only two archival cardboard boxes, so there’s not too much pressure on that.

I hope Justin and Alison don’t mind if I go a bit off the Tuck topic here but…

@AndreasP, should you wish to stretch your collection slightly into Victorian trade cards, I know of at least 4 cards in the 1891 Arbuckle Coffee “Trip Around The World” series which each include a specific theater as part of a larger vignette:
Munich, Bavaria
Havana, Cuba
Guatemala
Montevideo, Uruguay

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I do have trade cards (mostly from Germany and France), but I have never come across those from Arbuckle. Very interesting!

@jrbuck99 I was wondering how you organize your cards, do you use sets?

Hi @justintanner,
For the Arbuckle cards it’s pretty straightforward, since most of them were issued in series of 50 or 100 cards, and most of those cards were numbered within each series, they really organize themselves. All I have to do is store them, which I do in archival photo pages that fit in slightly oversize 3-ring binders.

For the extended part of my collection, which consists of cards that used the same design as an Arbuckle card, such as the Tuck cards that I’ve posted here, I group the cards by Arbuckle series and specific individual design, but keep them in separate binders from the Arbuckle cards. Since there are a myriad of companies that used some of these designs on different trade cards or greeting cards spanning multiple Arbuckle cards and series, I don’t even try to keep those companies together! You can see this hodgepodge in the “Non-Arbuckle” card pages that link from any Arbuckle card which has non-Arbuckle equivalents.

For instance, the following image shows a couple of cards associated with this Rebecca Coleman “angel head” card that Arbuckles’ issued. The link near the bottom of that page takes you to a page with a number of other uses of that design. (Some of them sourced from TuckDB, of course!)

The angel shown at the top is a Tuck card, while the one at the bottom is not (or at least does not carry any Tuck identification,although Tuck still could have been contracted as the printer, I suppose). The back of the cards you can see on the facing page in my album are just the opposite, with a Tuck one at the bottom.

Here’s another, showing a Helena Maguire dogs card.

Only the card shown at the lower right is actually a Tuck card. However, your DB has several more uses of that design which, of course, can also be found on my “Non-Arbuckle” usage page for that design.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

@jrbuck99 Interesting, so a series groups most cards.

And how do you organize your collection on your site, do you have an Excel sheet outside the website?

@justintanner The site itself is pretty much simple HTML with individual image files in a standard file structure, no database, spreadsheet or anything fancy (just view the source for any page on the site). I initially built it in 1999 and had limited tools, web experience and space available, so keeping it simple was a necessity. As far as keeping track of my collection here on my PC, I did initially use EXCEL but eventually wrote my own program on top of a Paradox database, then ditched Paradox in favor of a dedicated file structure paired with resource .dll files. See the “My Arbycards” page on the website.

@jrbuck99 I didn’t know your were a fellow programmer! Your in good company many folks have built similar apps to “My ArbyCards” (I made giant list of them all a while back),

Are you still using My Arbycards to this day?

@justintanner Well, I don’t know if I could truly be called a fellow programmer, at least not in today’s world. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m actually a 74-year old dinosaur, a retired mainframe programmer who only reluctantly dabbles in PC programming on rare occasions! I do indeed still use My ArbyCards to keep track of my collection, although I haven’t updated the base program in more than 12 years, as you may note in the Release History at the bottom of that page. I do, however, update the corresponding resource .dll for a series on those rare occasions when a previously unknown Arbuckle card pops up. And the “Supplemental” section allows me to add all my new “nonArbuckle” cards as they come along.

@AndreasP How about you, how do you keep track of your website and collection, Excel?

Actually, I did start with an excel sheet, but that hasn’t been updated in 18 years or so…

The collection is sorted by country, city, theatre, and the non-topographical are sorted thematically (a bit). Keeping track of the collection for buying new cards (and not buying doubles or too similar ones) is pretty much by the website.

That website is not generated by a database or content management system, but is ust raw HTML that I started typing in in the early 2000s… I do know that frames are frowned upon nowadays, but I have yet to see a replacement with the same ease of navigation and possibility to download the whole thing and use locally without a server.

For my books collection, I use LibraryThing AndreasP's books | LibraryThing

20221205_104503

@AndreasP interesting, so started with Excel, but currently no software.